If you’re looking for someone to read your finished manuscript and provide honest feedback on it before publishing, consider hiring me as a beta reader! As a beta reader, I will read your manuscript from the perspective of a reader and offer constructive criticism. I am not an editor or a fact checker. I will only be looking at your manuscript as someone who loves books and wants yours to be the best reading experience it can be!
My Skills and Qualifications
- I am an avid reader and reviewer, averaging 300 books per year. This gives me a strong grasp on what works and what doesn’t–at least for me–in fiction.
- I have been part of the online book community for over 5 years, so I’ve also seen what other readers think of book trends and tropes to help you avoid groan-worthy cliches.
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science. Obviously, this isn’t English related in the slightest, but as a science major, I did a lot of peer review in my classes.
- I am detailed oriented (thanks, Science!) in my reading and can see where there are holes or inconsistencies.
- If your manuscript contains characters from marginalized groups, and you need someone from those groups to sensitivity read, I am part of the following groups:
- LGBT+: Bisexual/polysexual
- PoC: Biracial (half-black, half-white)
- Disability: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Plus Sized Woman
- I love books and want to see yours succeed!
What I Will Do For You
- I will read your manuscript carefully and thoroughly with a critical eye.
- I will make note of any places where world-building, characterization, dialogue, and plot development are conflicting, confusing, incomplete, or offensive.
- I will give you honest feedback, even if it is negative or seems harsh.
- I will make comments on specific lines, at the end of each chapter, and a summary of my thoughts after completing the entire manuscript.
- I will offer suggestions for improvement. Of course, you are not obligated to implement them.
What I Will NOT Do For You
- I will not specifically edit for spelling, grammar, or punctuation. However, when something does pop out at me, I will make note of it.
- I will not review your manuscript. I am reading to help you improve your story, not to promote it.
- I will not post my comments in a public forum. All of my notes and critiques will stay between us.
Types of Manuscripts I’m Interested In
- Fiction only! I am not as well-read in Non Fiction, so I would not have much to offer in terms of critique.
- Short stories, novellas, and full-length novels.
- Adult, New Adult, and Young Adult.
- My preferred genres are: Romance (Contemporary and Paranormal), Science Fiction, and Urban Fantasy. These are not the only genres I will accept, but they are the ones that I read the most and feel most comfortable critiquing.
Prices and Terms*
- $2.50 per 1,000 words — For reference, a 75,000 word novel would cost $187.50, and a 25,000 word novella would cost $62.50.
- Payments will be done through Paypal and must be received before I start beta reading.
- Due to the nature of the work, I cannot offer refunds if you change your mind after I have begun. It will be up to you if you want the comments for the portion I have completed.
- I will complete my beta read within 10 days of receipt of payment. If for any reason I am unable to complete my beta read on time (life happens!), I will notify you as soon as possible.
- If your manuscript is part of a series where previous books are already published, I must ask that you provide the published book(s) so that I can put your current work into context and check for continuity.
- I will charge an additional $10 for books up to 75,000 words and $25 per longer book.
- Please allow me 3-4 extra days per additional book.
- Not required for a companion series where no plot elements are carried forward.
- If you need my critique sooner, a rush fee of $75 will be added and I will complete my beta read within 5 days for manuscripts up to 75,000 words and 7 days for longer works.
- If I am reading prior books in a series, allow 1-2 day per additional book.
- I will consider manuscripts on a case by case basis–based on my interest and available time–and will notify you by e-mail if I would like to beta read your manuscript or not. If you do not hear from me within a week of submitting the form, please submit it again.
*Prices and terms are subject to change without notice.
I approached Angie to beta read for me when I was submitting a story for inclusion in an science fiction anthology. Her suggestions were so spot on! She paid attention to little details – like how does that bed ACTUALLY work? – and bigger world building issues. All of her questions and suggestions really improved my writing and I have no doubt the changes I made were key to my ultimate success and inclusion in the anthology. I highly recommend Angie and will be using her services for my work in the future!
— Kimberly Sams (Author of Simulated Perfection)
Angie’s notes were both insightful and encouraging, and with her keen eye she spotted both small and big picture issues that neither I nor other readers had spotted. I loved the in-manuscript notes and the chapter by chapter reactions. It really helps to get a feeling for how a reader is responding to the work as they proceed through your book. I’ll definitely be consulting Angie again. Very good value and a great help!
— Gabrielle Prendergast (Author of Zero Repeat Forever)
Interested in hiring me?
If you need an author website, to plan a blog tour, or a book cover and bookmarks designed, these ladies have got you covered!